Friday, May 30, 2008

Pick Pocket!

Again...heard someone lost his wallet inside the train. But this time the victim is a father with his son.

I was on the way back from the Popular Book Fair in KLCC Convention Center. Saw a middle-age man stopping me and asking am I Chinese. I said Yes and ask him why. He was kind of shy and told me that he lost his wallet in the Putra LRT. And his kid is hungry and thirsty. So would like to ask for RM10 to buy lunch for his kid. I am feeling kind of sympathy for the kid. So, never think twice and pass him RM10. (I was thinking of giving him RM50...But this is too much and he doesn't need RM50 for a meal.)

Then he is asking for my mobile number. Because his sister is coming and he will return the money to me. Pass him the name card instead. I am fine if he is cheating me. RM10 can be a lot to me when my bank account is empty...and my wallet also empty at the month end. Just that I am believe to Karma. If he is alone and definitely i will not give him a single sen. Just because of the poor kid.

There are lot of people out there asking for money. Giving all kind of excuses. I am not sure they are telling you the truth or not. But most of them turned down by me. And this is the second time i gave money to a stranger. Remember that, I was somewhere in town and had kind of happy mood. Because i was going to clubbing with my the other half. And it was the Guiness Stout Black party in Zouk. Met a Sarawakian in tourist wear. Said that he was left by the tour guide and his group. And now he is rushing to take the LRT to KL Sentral and then will take the ERL to KLIA. And he left his bag and wallet inside the bus. So, asking for RM50....

Remember that i recorded down his mobile number. But ended up that number can't dial through. (I should dial that number on the spot. But I never... ) I was having some kind of weird feeling that...I am 100% believe with what he said. Not sure it is a type of black magic or I was really stupid. Told my the other half after that. She just said...you are too kind. Know that she was trying to make me feel better. Thank you dear... But i'm know that i am kind of stupid...

It is hard to be a good person sometime. You will end up suffering by helping people. And it is hard to be a bad person also. Because feeling sad and down when saw people suffering and we are not helping out at all.

There are few tips to teach you on how to prevent the pick pocket inside the train or bus. (There are Star LRT, Putra LRT, Monorail and bus services in Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya. And of course there are lot of pick pockets too.)

1) Make sure you are not withdraw the money at any train station ATM. As the pick pocket waiting for target all the time.
2) Make sure you don't put (especially male) your wallet at the back or side pocket. Especially those with very loose pant/jean. As the pick pocket can take out your wallet easily without your notice.
3) Pick pocket mostly come with 2-3 people in a group. If you were hit/bang by someone, hold your bag or wallet tight and make sure your bag or wallet still being with you.
4) Make sure your bag (Female) is zipped or locked. As I can see lot of ladies carrying with big bag. And most of them doesn't care about their bag is wide openned.
5) Try to stay away from the crowd. As pick pocket like to squeeze within the crowd and steal...
6) If you saw any pick pocket, report to the officer in train station or shouting and pointing your finger towards them. Let's everyone know how they look like. As I saw there is an Arabian couple was caught. (I am not offence to any Arabian. As this is what i saw personally in the train station.) A young couple's wallet and mobile was stealing by this Arabian couple. And someone saw it and shouting at them. The wallet and mobile were thrown away immediately. But too many eyes saw what they did and get caught on the spot. Good job people...!
7) Don't showing off your high-tech mobile, PSP or MP3 in public.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Dom, I believe in Karma too, I was once a victim of snatch theft and I know the feeling of being lost and all alone. Sometimes we just got to be careful about our surroundings. thanks for the useful tips :)

Cheers

Dirty Old Man said...

The fella who asked RM10 from me...never call or return the money to me. :(

Anonymous said...

Awww, I hope that man will repay his bad deeds...

Karma will take care of it

Anonymous said...

The last line about never show your PSP in public, I'm guilty as charged. Need to find something to play with while sitting/standing in the Komuter la. Where got syok just hanging on for 45 minutes or waiting so damn long for the stupid KTM to arrive at KL Sentral.

Dirty Old Man said...

Then get a dog chain and lock your PSP with you lor. haha...

Anonymous said...

Hey, I fell for that father-lost-wallet-and-my-son-hungry scam too!Father said his waist pouch got stolen and his son(with tat pity-puppy-face look)damn thirsty+hungry excuse.I usually just ignore them cos i knew their scam but tis time pity the kid!!Hence gave them RM12 for so call "bus ride home", but later on i saw them trying te same tactic on someone else near a bus stop!!! DAMN pissed....!!