Friday, May 2, 2008

Batang Kali field trip - Nepenthes sanguinea and Nepenthes ramispina Part 1.

Planned to go for this trip since last year. But due to busy schedule, couldn't make it. Friends screwing me upside down. So, hafta make it this time. Else, J and L will give me a nick as "aeroplane" king.

Was well planned with J and L. L has to go back to his home town last minute. So, left J and myself. I was spent almost the whole morning in the flower nurseries nearby J's house. The weather doesn't look good to us. Seems like going to rain very well. As J was still in office and will be free after 1pm only. Keep calling J and asking him whether want to continue our plan or not. He said, already planned since long time ago. Why gonna stop by the rain? I was thinking like...Emmm....we are going up to hill top and walking under wide open area in raining day! Are you crazy? We will "BBQ" by thunders anytime. Are you going to delay again? Told J that i will meeting him up at the restaurant near his house. We will see how's the weather goes after lunch.

Just before I start my first bite of my lunch. J arrived. And the sun light is coming out. No sign of rain. Guess J praying hard before he came. Muahaha...

We took around an hour to look for the right place to stop when we reached Batang Kali. As there is no sign of Nepenthes growing there. I am still worrying the weather. As you can see from the below picture. Sky is getting dark.


There are few temperary houses made by the abandoned cargos. Saw there are around 10 male and female foreigner workers walking to work from there.




After few round and round the mountain. Finally we found the place...first I saw this bamboo orchid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_orchid. Guess that I can find the Nepenthes nearby. This bamboo orchid is very common in Malaysia. You can find it growing on the highland and lowland. As long as the place with higher humidity and moist. It will multiply like nobody business. The below picture taken by Canon 400D.


The close up picture of one the flower at road side.. This picture taken by Olympus MJU 410. Not the perfect picture. As I am not using tripod. Plus the wing was too strong. Can't make the flower stay still.


J was very excited to look at the orchid and snap the pictures non -stop. Told him to be careful as there are snakes. Then I continue to walk further in...and found this! Nepenthes ramispina. There is only a small bunch of them growing at the side of dump yard. Because there are lot of used toilet bowl, sinks, some used furnitures and marble just next to it. Guess the constructor of hotel thrown everything at here.




Since I can find Nepenthes ramispina. For sure I can find Nepenthes sanguinea as well. Since these 2 species growing at the same habitat. After few pictures taken, decided to climb to another slope and check every single inch. When I turning my head... didn't see J at all. After shouting at him, he is replied...I am here. (But I am still can not see where he is.) I don't want to waste any single second. Just try my best to open my eyes big and looking around.



Finally, found the Nepenthes sanguinea. Love this species as it can grow in different color and shape. Due to the sun light and nutrients. All these pictures taken by Canon 400D.



Check out how beautiful they are. The substrate are just sand, small rocks and leaf litters.






Black color lip...






Reddish leaves...






The close up.



After 2 hours photo shoot, J suggest to goto his secret place where he has been there many many years ago. But he wasn't into any hobby at that time. So he was guessing we could find something new.
Just less than 10 minutes drive, and we reached the destination. J was driving and he couldn't see anything. I was the one with "4 eyes"...and found this Nepenthes sanguinea growing on the slope of the hill.
This N.sanguinea appear in different color. I was wondering they are hybrid of N.sanguinea and N.ramispina. As from the record, Nepenthes macfarlanei can be found at here. But seem like i don't have luck...
Seem like N.sanguinea and ramispina are growing everywhere at here. We are not going to shoot the same photograph again. So decided to go down early. And the sky start getting dark again....



2 comments:

natalie koo said...

猪笼草 - 在小学‘人文与环境’课本里认识了它。对它有般‘害怕’的感觉。因为它是‘肉食’植物啊!但是,现在已对它改观了-- 神奇... 因为它是吃肉的植物! (植物也有吃肉的?!)

Dirty Old Man said...

猪笼草吃的只是昆虫罢了。并不是真正的吃肉类。